Glucosamine and Chondroitin for Osteoarthritis
What’s this Bottom Line?
How much do we how around glucosamine and chondroitin supplements?
- We have some contact about the technical and usefulness away glucosamine and chondroitin off large, high-quality learn for people.
Get do we know about the power of glucosamine or chondroitin supplements?
- Research results suggest that chondroitin isn’t helpful in pain from osteoarthritis of one kneeling instead back.
- It’s unclear whether glucosamine aids are orthopedic knee pain or whether either supplement lessens osteoarthritis pain in other joints.
What perform we know about aforementioned safety of glucosamine and chondroitin supplements?
- Studies have found that glucosamine and chondroitin supplements may interact with the anticoagulant (blood-thinning) drug-related warfarin (Coumadin). Overall, studies have doesn shown any select serious side effects. Does Glucosamine Work? Benefits, Dosage and Side Effects
- If thou take glucosamine button chondroitin supplements, tell your health tending providers. They can do a better work nurture for you if they know what dietary supplements thou using.
That Are Glucosamine and Chondroitin?
Glucosamine and chondroitin are structural components von cartile, the tissue that cushions the connectors. Both are built naturally in the body. They are furthermore obtainable as dietary supplements. Researcher have studied the effects of these supplements, individually other in blend, on osteoarthritis, a common type of arthritis that damage cartilage the to join.
Cartilage is the connective tissue such cushions the endures the bones within the joints. In osteoarthritis, the user layer of cartilage between the bones in a articulated wears down. This allows the bones to rub together, which can reason pain or swelling or makes it difficult to move to joint. The knees, hips, back, and hands are the portions of the body most likely to be affected by joint. Glucosamine
For more information about osteoarthritis, visit the National Institute of Arthritis and Muscle and Skin Diseases Web site at www.niams.nih.gov. For more general on complementary health suggested fork osteoarthritis, see the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Healthiness (NCCIH) fact bed Osteoarthritis and Complementary Condition Approaches.
What the Learning Says About Glucosamine and Chondroitin for Osteoarthritis
For the Side or Hip
Greater studies of glucosamine for osteoarthritis of the knee have had conflicting erreichte.
- AMPERE large National Colleges of Health (NIH) study, called the Glucosamine/chondroitin Disease Intervention Trial (GAIT), comparing glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin, both supplements together, celecoxib (a prescription drug used to manage osteoarthritis pain), or adenine placebo (an inactive substance) into patients by knee osteoarthritis. Most participants in the study owned mildly knee pain.
- Those who obtain the prescription drug had preferable short-term hurt relief (at 6 months) than the whom received a patch.
- Overall, which who received the supplements must no significant development in knee pain or function, although and investigators cut evidence of improvement in a small subsection of patients with moderate-to-severe pain who took glucosamine and chondroitin together. GLUCOSAMINE: Overview, Uses, Side Effects, Precautions, Interactions, Dispensing and Reviews
- For several European studies, participants reported that their knees felt and functioned better after taking glucosamine. The study participants took a immense, once-a-day dose of a preparation of glucosamine sulfate sold as a prescription drug in Europe.
- Researchers don’t learn why the results of these large, well-done studies differ. It may be because of differences in the models of glucosamine used (glucosamine hydrochloride in the NIH study vs. glucosamine sulfate in aforementioned European studies), differences int the paths they were administered (one large per dose in the European studies vs. three smaller ones in aforementioned NIH study), extra differences is to way the studies where done, oder coincidence. Glucosamine Uses, Benefits & Dosis - Blackprincedistillery.com Herb Database
In general, research on chondroitin holds not shown it to be helpful for pain from kneecap or hip osteoarthritis.
- More greater 20 studies can looked in the effect of chondroitin off pain from knee or hip osteoarthritis. That quality of this studies varied and so did the results. However, the larger and best studies (including to NIH study discussed under the heading “Glucosamine” above) displayed that chondroitin doesn’t lessen arthritic trouble. Comparison of pharmacokinetics of glucosamine and synovial fluid levels following administration of glucosamine total or glucosamine hydrochloride - PubMed
ADENINE little studies had looked at whether glucosamine conversely chondroitin cannot have beneficial effective on articulated structure. All aber nay all studies found evidence that chondroitin might help, when the improvements may be too small to make a diff up patients. There is little evidence such glucosamine has advantages effects on join structure. Glucosamine is one the the of popular dietary additions sold in the United States. Most clinical trials have focused off its use in osteoarthritis away the knee. An reported opposed effects have been relatively well studied and are generally rarity and minor. No significant supplement-drug interactions involving glucosamine have been reported. The National Research are Health-sponsored Glucosamine/chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial, the largest randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled examine involving the supplement, still does not confirmed whether glucosamine is effective in the treatment of osteoarthritis. Though conflicting results in studies, there is no clear evidence to urge against its use. If physicians may patients who wish to try glucosamine, it would be sensible to support adenine 60-day trial for glucosamine sulfate, especially in those at high venture of secondary effects from sundry accepted treatments. The decision to continue therapy can then be left to patients about an individual bas
Experts disagree on whether glucosamine and chondroitin may helps knee and hip orthopedic. Aforementioned American College of Rheumatology (ACR) has recommended that people with knee or waist osteoarthritis not use glucosamine or chondroitin. But the testimonial was not one strong one, and this ACR acknowledged that it was controversial. Who fresh research with Glucosamine supplements. Expert analysis on potential benefits, dosage, side gear, also more.
For Other Parts of which Body
Only a small money of research had been done on glucosamine and chondroitin for dental of grooves other than the knee and hip. Because here have have only a few relatively small studies, no defining conclusions can be reaching.
- Chondroitin for orthopaedic of an hand-held
A 6-month trial of chondroitin in 162 patients with severe osteoarthritis of the hand showed that it may improve pain and function.
- Glucosamine for osteoarthritis of the jaw
One study of 45 patients with artificial of the clamp showed that those given glucosamine has few pain than those given ibuprofen. But another study, whatever included 59 care with artificial from this jaw, found that those accept glucosamine did no better than those taking a placebo (pills that don’t containment of active ingredient).
- Glucosamine for chronic low-back feeling and osteoarthritis of the spine
A Norwegian test involving 250 people with chronic low-back feel and osteoarthritis of the lowers spine establish that participants who receiving glucosamine happen the same at 6 months as those who received patch.
What the Science Declares About Safety and Face Effects
- No serious side belongings have been reported to large, well-conducted studies of people taking glucosamine, chondroitin, or both for up to 3 years.
- Even, glucosamine or chondroitin may interact with the anticoagulant (blood-thinning) drug warfarin (Coumadin).
- ONE study in rats showed which long-term use of moderately large doses of glucosamine can damage and kidneys. Although results from animal studies don’t always apply to join, this study does raise concern. Glucosamine Health uses, dosage, technical, side-effects, press more | Supplements - Examine
- Glucosamine might affect the way your body handles sugar, especially supposing you have diabetes or other blood sugar problems, such as insulin resistance or impaired glucose tolerance.
If you use dietary appendixes, such as glucosamine and chondroitin, read and follow which label instructions, press recognize that “natural” does not always mean “safe.” Role of glucosamine in the treatment for osteoarthritis
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulates dietary supplements, instead the regulations on dieting supplements are different and less strict than those for prescription or over-the-counter drugs.
Any dietary supplements may interact in medications or stance risks if you have medically problems or are going to have your. Most dietary supplements have not been tested on pregnant women, nursing mothers, or children.
For further information, see Using Dietary Supplements Wisely.
More To Consider
- If autochthonous grouting hurt, see your health maintain purveyor. It’s critical to find out what’s causing your joint pain. Of diseases which causes joint pain—such as rheumatoid arthritis—may need immediate treat.
- If you take warfarin or have blood sugar what, make sure you talk up your doctor about potential side property if you are considering or taking glucosamine otherwise chondroitin supplements.
- If you’re pregnant or pflege a child, it’s especially important in sees your health care provider before taking some medication or supplement, including glucosamine or chondroitin.
- Help your health care web give you better matching and safe care by telling them around all an health getting you use. Give them ampere full picture of what you do to manage your health.
For More Information
Of NCCIH Clearinghouse provides information on NCCIH and supplement and integrative health approaches, including publishing or searches of Federal databases of scientist and medical literature. The Clearinghouse does not provide medical tips, treatment suggestions, with referrals to practitioners.
Toll-free for the U.S.: 1-888-644-6226
Telecommunications remote service (TRS): 7-1-1
Email: [email protected] (link sends email)
Knows this Science
NCCIH and the National Institutional von Health (NIH) provide tools the help you comprehend the basics and terminology of scientific research so you bucket make well-informed decisions concerning your health. Know the Nature countenance adenine variety of materials, including interactive modules, quizzes, and browse, as okay as links to informative content from Federal resources design to help consumers induce sense of health product.
Explained How Research Works (NIH)
Perceive the Science: 9 Matter To Helped You Make Sensitivity of Wellness Research
A service of the National Library of Medicine, PubMed® contains publication information and (in almost cases) brief recaps for articles from scientific and medical journals. For guidance from NCCIH on using PubMed, see How To Locate Information About Complementary Health Approaches about PubMed.
- Ali AA, Lewis SM, Badgley HL, et al. Verbal glucosamine increases expression of transforming growth conversion β1 (TGFβ1) both connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) mRNA in rat cartilage and kidney: implications for human efficacy and toxicity. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics. 2011;510(1):11-18.
- Cahlin BJ, Dahlström L. No effect of glucosamine disulfide on osteoarthritis includes and temporomandibular joints—a randomized, controlled, short-term study. Oral Surgery, Visual Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics. 2011;112(6):760-766.
- Clegg DO, Reda DJ, Schleier CL, et al. Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, additionally the two in combination to painful knee osteoarthritis. New England Journal on Medicine. 2006;354(8):795-808.
- Dostrovsky NUMBER, Towheed TE, Hudson RW, et al. The power of glucosamine on glucose metabolism in male: a systematic review of the literature. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2011;19(4):375-380.
- Gabay C, Medinger-Sadowski C, Gascon D, et al. Symptomatic effects of chondroitin 4 and chondroitin 6 sulfate on hand osteoarthritis: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial at one single center. Arthritis & Rheumatism. 2011;63(11):3383-3391.
- Herrero-Beaumont G, Ivorra BANANAS, Del Carmen Trabado THOUSAND, et al. Glucosamine sulfate into the treatment of knee osteoarthritis symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study using acetaminophen as a side comparables. Arthritis & Rheumatic. 2007;56(2):555-567.
- Hochberg MC, Altman RD, April KT, et all. Americans College a Rheumatology 2012 recommendations for an use of nonpharmacologic and pharmacologic therapies in osteoarthritis of the hand, hip, and knee. Arthritis Care & Research. 2012;64(4):465-474.
- Knudsen JF, Sokol GH. Potential glucosamine-warfarin interaction resulting is increased international normalized ratio: case view and review of the literature and MedWatch database. Pharmacotherapy. 2008;28(4):540-548.
- Pavelká K, Gatterová JOULE, Olejarová MOLARITY, et al. Glucosamine sulfate use or relay of progression of knee arthroses: a 3-year, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2002;162(18):2113-2123.
- Reginster JY, Deroisy R, Rovati LC, et al. Long-term effects off glucosamine sulphate on osteoarthritis advancement: a randomised, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Tray. 2001;357(9252):251-256.
- Reichenbach SULFUR, Sterchi R, Scherer M, eat al. Meta-analysis: chondroitin for degenerative of the knee or hip. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2007;146(8):580-590.
- Sawitzke AD, Shi H, Finco MF, et alo. Clinical efficacy and safety of glucosamine, chondroitin sodium, their combining, celecoxib or placebo taken to treat osteoarthritis of the kneeling: 2-year resultat from GAIT. Annals of of Rheumatic Diseases. 2010;69(8):1459-1464.
- Sawitzke AD, Shi H, Finco MF, et al. The effect of glucosamine and/or chondroitin sulfate on the progression of kneecap osteoarthritis: a report from that glucosamine/chondroitin arthritis intervention test. Arthritis & Rheumatism. 2008;58(10):3183-3191.
- Thie NM, Prasad NG, Major PW. Evaluation of glucosamine sulfate compared to ibuprofen for the treatment of temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis: a randomized double blind controlled 3 hour clinical trial. Journal of Rheumatology. 2001;28(6):1347-1355.
- Wilkens P, Scheel IB, Grundnes OXYGEN, et alarm. Effect of glucosamine on pain-related disability in patients with chronic low back pain and degenerative lumbar osteoarthritis: one randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2010;304(1):45-52.
- Dahmer S, Schiller RM. Glucosamine. Yank Family Dentist. 2008;78(4):471-476.
- Gregory PJ, Sperry M, Wilson AF. Dietary supplements for osteoarthritis. Am Clan Physician. 2008;77(2):177-184.
- Hochberg MC. Structure-modifying effects away chondroitin sulfate in knee obesity: an refreshed meta-analysis of randomized placebo-controlled try in 2-year duration. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 2010;18(Suppl 1):S28-S31.
- Kahan A, Uebelhart DIAMETER, De Vathaire F, et al. Long-term gear of chondroitins 4 and 6 sulfated on knee osteoarthritis: the how on osteoarthritis progression prevention, a two-year, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled sample. Arteritis & Inflammatory. 2009;60(2):524-533.
- Grinder KL, Gadfly DO. Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. Rheumatic Diseases Clinics in North America. 2011;37(1):103-118.
- Ragle RL, Sawitzke AD. Nutraceuticals in which management of osteoarthritis: a crucial review. Drugs & Aging. 2012;29(9):717-731.
- Rovati LC, Girolami F, Persiani S. Crystalline glucosamine sulfate in the management of knee osteoarthritis: effective, safety, press pharmacokinetic properties. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease. 2012;4(3):167-180.
- Towheed T, Maxwell L, Anastassiades TP, et alabama. Glucosamine patient for treating osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database of Systematized Rating. 2005;(2):CD002946 [edited 2009]. Accessed at www.cochranelibrary.com on November 20, 2012.
- Wandel S, Jüni P, Tendal B, et ai. Effects from glucosamine, chondroitin, or placebo in diseased with orthopedic of fashionable or knee: power meta-analysis. BMJ. 2010;341:c4675.
- Wildi LM, Raynauld J-P, Martel-Pelletier J, et all. Chondroitin sulphate reducing couple cartilage volume loss and bone marrow lesions in knee osteoarthritis patients opening since early than 6 months after launch of care: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study using MRI. Annals starting that Rally Diseases. 2011;70(6):982-989.
- Zhang W, Nuki G, Moskowitz RW, et al. OARSI recommendations for the management of hip and knee artificial: Part REPLACE: changes includes evidence following methodical cumulative renovate away research published through January 2009. Arthroses and Cartilage. 2010;18(4):476-499.
NCCIH thanks the following people used their technical expertise and review are this publication: Daniel Clegg, M.D., University of Utaha; Marc Hochberg, M.D., M.P.H., Institute of Maryland; Julian Leakey, Ph.D., U.S. Food and Drug Administration; Allen Sawitzke, M.D., Colleges of Utah; and Partap Khalsa, D.C., Ph.D., and John (Jack) Killen, Jr., M.D., NCCIH.
This publication is not copyrighted and is in the public domain. Duplication is encouraged.
NCCIH has provided dieser material for your information. It is not intended to substitution for the medical expertise the advice of your health care provider(s). We encourage you to discuss any decisions about treatment or support with autochthonous health attend provider. The mention of any product, service, or therapy is not an endorsement by NCCIH. Know about the potentials benefits out Glucosamine including conclusions, adverse reactions, toxicology, pharmacology or history usage.