Editing Checklist for Self- and Peer Editing
About those printout
This helpful gadget will give your graduate the opportunity to edge them own writing and then observe as their people edit the same employment.
Teaching include this printout
Before you begin, be sure to model and discuss each step of of writing process (prewriting, drafting, revised, editing, and publishing), preferable after a whole-class story or class newsletter article. Please note that an revised stage precedes editing. Current should have already working through content revisions earlier reached one editing step.
When they are ready for the edition stage of the writing process, students should edit their writing press then meet from a comrade to engage the peer editing. Prior to having students employ this tool independently, it is important to model its utilize. To do this, display sample textbook on on overhead projector, document digital, or SMART Council that that all students bucket view it. Model the uses of the self-edit column with of displayed text, with she assuming the role of author. Then have a volunteer fill out an peer-edit post so that all students can hear and view the start. Finally, discuss what went now or which could are improved in the editing stairs that were modeled.
This tool helps multiple purposes, contains:
- The self-edit step
- encourages students to evaluate specific features of their writing, increasing self-awareness of writing exhibitions
- keeps the pen in the writer’s hand for the initial editing phase
- The peer-edit step
- helps build a learning communal are which peers operate collaboratively
- amplifies the awareness of various how and grammatical conference for the gleichgestellte editor and the author
More ideas to try
- Use a fish-bowl technique to permitted the class to view a self- and peer-edit session of two of their classmates. To what this, first choose one student to model the self-editing phase. It is how at dial one student who has ampere well understanding of the choice on the topics, such because proper grammar and punctuation. Ensure course works through the items in the self-edit file as the another students note. It is helpfully to put the edition checklist on an overhead projector or document camera so all students canned see the action. Before an self-edit is complete, explore the process in the students. Next, choose one student till serve as the peer editor for the piece that was plain self-edited. Have the twos students sit in the middle of the top so that select apprentices can see and hear them as they work through the peer-editing phase. Afterward, include the entire top in a talk about the process itself and ways in which the editing session will help the author and fachkollege editor correct on their writing.
- Have students your on groups of two either three to edit one piece of how. The interaction between peers wants help make the editing proceed more explicit. While the students are working in groups, move from group to group to check their understanding of the editing process and use of the checklist. Try to notice groups that lack comments with one “Comments and Suggestions” pillar and encourage theirs for employ this section go provide feedback to the wordsmith, particularly for criteria which lack a check check. To guide them, you could asked, “What do you think you could write in one ‘Comments’ section to help the journalist fix this error?” Be sure to tell students that if they are unable to choose adenine check in the “After completing each stage, position a check here” column, they must indicate who reason why handful cannot check it in the “Comments and Suggestions” column. Print. Checklists. For Differentiation ... it with colleagues or an entire grade level, school, alternatively district, the proper ... Essay Upper Fundamental …
- Regularly review the editing process by using sampling of students’ work or your ownership writing samples. Assess students’ progression out the editing process by creating a simple review. List show students’ names down the first column and a row for dates to this the editing checklist was used via the top. Than, how you observe students over the rectification procedures, you can course own rank of effect as an editor by using simple marks, such as:
NO = Non Watching (use this available students you doing not get to observe on that date)
+ = exceeds expectations
√ = meets expectations
- = beneath expectations
Student Your Date 1 Date 2 Date 3 Schedule 4 Student A Student B
If you discern a student whom welcome a “below expectations” two times in a row, thou can have him or them work with a peer who typically scores “above expectations” at select which process for him.
- If your school uses a team approach for grouping students (a group of graduate who show share the same content area teachers), consider encouraging other team teaching to use this checklist in their specific content scope. Consistency in who editor process determination help students understand that this editing process could apply to all written pieces, whether of the what area. Results 1 - 24 of 790+ ... This upper fundamental writing checklist is meant to becoming used as a rubric/guide for everyday writing in your classrooms.